1.27.2005

Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light

For my first picture, a Thomas Kinkade. When Kinkade's name comes out, everyone thinks of quaint cottages. Some people love them and some hate them. I'm not a particularly big fan of his cottages, but I do think that his painting entitled "Almost Heaven" is one of the greatest pieces of art ever created.

One of the coolest things about Kinkade painting is the way they react to light. Here is something I would highly recommend. If you ever happen upon a gallery that has his paintings, ask to have one taken into a room for viewing that has a light on a dimmer circuit. Point one of the spotlights or track lights on the painting and then slowly dim the lights. I won't ruin the effect for you by trying to tell you what happens, but give it a shot. I'm sure you'll have a MUCH greater appreciation of Thomas Kinkade's talent if you do.

For more Kinkade, try his official homepage.

As a sidenote, Kinkade grew up in gold country, as did most of my family.

Almost Heaven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home