2.24.2005

Diagnosis: Fat Slob

The diagnoses are in. I have sleep apnea and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.

First the apnea. I had an AHI of just over 48 (normal runs below 10). In 7.6 hours of sleep I had nearly 300 events. No wonder I'm always tired...

I have been sleeping with my CPAP for a week now. I'm sure I'm still paying my sleep debt, but I know the thing works. I slept without it a few nights ago and was wasted all day. THAT MACHINE KICKS A$$!

And now the NASH. It's basically fatty deposits in the liver that can't be attributed to other liver problems (Hep B&C ruled out, cirrhosis ruled out, hemochromatosis ruled out). Typically strikes severly overweight people, but since Will Smith has a BMI of 27 I guess we're all fat now. Doc says, "lose 10 to 20 and see me in three to six."

My wife is very happy...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

Out of curiosity, does the CPAP machine require you to sleep on your side as illustrated in the webMD link? What kind of noise does it make at night?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Charlie Brown said...

No, actually it doesn't. I typically sleep on my back while wearing it. I seem to have problems getting it to stay on when I'm on my side.

As to the noise, amazingly, it's nearly silent. If they mask slips out of position it gets loud, but other than that...

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home